Friday, July 31, 2009

For Rene

I have been neglecting this blog for a few weeks, just kinda feeling lazy about it and not doing a whole ton of reading, but a few things have happened:
1. I read a book
2. I bought a book
3. I spoke to my grandmother who has been reading my blog and is now reading Song of the Lark by Willa Cather.

Holy guilty! My poor old grandmother is checking my blog and I'm not posting. Geez.

The book I read is Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. It is a collection of humor essays and very enjoyable. I will probably pick up something else by this guy.

I had seen this book in stores and in everyone's home but hadn't picked it up because with its chalk title on a green chalkboard background, it somehow looked to me like a story of an abused or feral child. I know, I'm bizarre and moronic. So finally, I was at my sister's house and this book was on the shelf, so I figured I could at least trouble myself to look at the back. The blurbs trumpet: "Wildly Entertaining" "His most sidesplitting work to date..." Apparently this book is not about a feral child. Sedaris is a riot. I have learned an important lesson about judging books blah blah blah.

Also, I was cruising Costco today and saw Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout laying on top of a stack of cookbooks. Poor thing, all out of place, I tossed it into my cart and am excited to start reading. I've been hearing a ton about this book of short stories on NPR. It won some super award, but I can't figure out which in a quick google search.

Anyway, this book is making a splash, it's a series of linked short stories set in Maine. I think is is not going to be warm and fuzzy, more a look at the real sometimes brutal sides of people's personalities. I'm looking forward to it.



1 comment:

Swistle said...

YES, yes yes yes, I avoided the David Sedaris book for the SAME REASON. I finally read it and I was all, "Buh?"