Friday, April 10, 2009

I sacrificed half a night of sleep this week for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. It was worth it. I picked it up at my Dad's house because I steal all their books and I figured I should read this very important American book. It turns out I had already read it. Duh. It hit me hard this time though, it is so beautifully written, not heavy handed, not too dark, not too bright. It is perfectly balanced and you are so immersed in Brooklyn and in the beginning of the twentieth century. It was sort of sad to finish, and I had to sit, hold the book and take a few moments out for Francie. I loved it. You should read it.

I just bought two brand new books. Exciting, since I usually hit the library or used book store. I bought An American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld and The Song is You by Arthur Phillips. I read a review of the Phillips book in the Washington Post and it sounded just up my alley, full of longing and angst. I chose the Sittenfeld book because although I didn't read Prep, I think she's a solid writer. I read a few pages in the bookstore and it is going to be good.


More on my two new books soon.

2 comments:

Stimey said...

I get that feeling with books too—that I'm sad to finish them. It's a sign of a great book!

Lindsay said...

I got that feeling from you, or rather, I named it after you told me that it existed.