Sunday, May 31, 2009

Up all night

For me, reading before bed is not usually something that helps me to fall asleep. I do read in bed almost every night but is it usually a struggle for me to put the book down and to go to sleep. Sometimes I am overcome by the book and can't stop until I have finished. Luckily for me, I am a very fast reader.

The books that keep me up at night are not necessarily suspenseful, I just get so invested in something that I am unwilling to leave the world the author has created for me.

I have a friend who prefers to draw out books that she loves in order to increase the length of time that she spends under the spell. I am a full immersion girl, reading every spare moment as quickly as I can, not wanting to be drawn away for even a minute.

Here is a list off the top of my head, in no particular order of books that have kept me up all night:


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
by David Wroblewski I read this on the plane to Las Vegas and spent a fair amount of time reading in my hotel room. It is a twist on the Hamlet plot, set in Wisconsin. The hero is a mute boy who raises dogs. Parts of this tale get a little long but its a satisfying read.

Peace Like a River
and So Brave, Young and Handsome by Leif Enger I love this writer. His writing has a great peaceful tone and rhythm; and his his characters are excellent. Both books I have read by him are set in the American West and are really lovely. The country is almost a character in itself.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith I mentioned this recently. Again, it is a great story about place and is just great book about coming of age and hardship and family.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen I wanted to read this book because it is set in a circus during the depression. I was interested mostly in just reading about a circus and the circus people. Plus it has a great cover. I was pleasantly surprised to find a great novel and love story inside.

The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck This was one of the first books that I remember staying up all night to read. I read it cover to cover one night when I was a senior in high school. It was a memorable night for me. I was first, very proud to have read such an important book so quickly, but secondly, Steinbeck became one of my favorite authors.

Harry Potter. I would stay up all night just to re-read any Harry Potter book. J.K. Rowling does such a great job with setting that I love diving in to visit occasionally. I try not to talk about it too much, but like many, many people I am a HUGE J.K. Rowling fan.


I am going to stop now, but plan to make lots and lots of suggested reading lists on this blog.

Note: I am hesitant to link to Amazon for many reasons, but am doing so just in case it helps you to locate and read these books.

1 comment:

Stimey said...

Do you know that the only books on this list that I have read are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and the Harry Potter books? I'll have to put these others on my list of books to read after Quinn heads off to college.