Friday, August 21, 2009

The Wife: A Wrap up

The Wife by Meg Wolitzer was great. I couldn't put it down. There is not normally a ton of suspense to be found in a forty year marriage, but Wolitzer invented some. I couldn't figure out why this woman had been married to her disgusting, arrogant husband for so many years. Why? Why? Why? had she stuck around? He cheated, he was unattractive, unloveable.

So I read and read, using every minute I could spare. I got to the end, late one evening, and was outraged!! Why? Why? Why? How could this happen? Gross. Argh! I am so frustrated and outraged at this character.

Wolitzer gives us a lot to chew on in terms of feminism, love, marriage, self worth, family...phew. Plus, she's funny.

I want y'all to read this book and report back. If I have any local readers, I will happily lend you the book.


No comments: