Friday, March 26, 2010

Read all the way to the end of this post--I've got fun news!

I feel sort of boring and predictable, but I'm reading Emma. Again.

Jane Austen, I can't get enough of her. She is always so fresh and perfect.

Off the Women's History Month table in the library, I also grabbed Laura's Album: A Remembrance Scrapbook of Laura Ingalls Wilder compiled by William Anderson. It is really fun to see photographs of the Ingalls family and adorable Almanzo. Mrs. Wilder was apparently quite a sassafrassy. Between her childhood and her later years when she wrote her books; she was a noted farmer and active in her town and church. She was adorable and stout like a little French horse! Almanzo was surprisingly good looking, and a half-pint as well as Laura. Laura's Album also gives an accurate timeline of her family's travels, as she simplified for the children's books. It's a fun book to look over, and now I will probably have to read some Little House books for the fun of it. Maybe my kids are big enough now to listen to them.

Speaking of reading to kids; I have been trying to get my kids to listen to a chapter book lately, and they aren't biting at anything. Last year we read like five Ramona books. I have tried Trumpet of the Swan by E.B White and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty Mac Donald, to no avail. Maybe Little House in the Big Wood will spark their interest.

Speaking of Ramona though; today the three of us visited the local Humane Society to look for a cat. A CAT! And we found one. In discussing names, we turned over Rosepetal, Katie, Sally, Susan, Skipper, Apple Pie and others, but Ramona was our winner. I love it. And I really hope I love this cat. EEk! She's tiny and is black and white. She sat in my lap and purred. We were very disappointed to have to leave her at the shelter while we await our interview. Cross your fingers that I am judged to be a responsible cat owner-- my super nice landlord said that he would highly recommend me when they call him to make sure it's allowed. Aww.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

OMG CAT GOODNESS!!

Stimey said...

Hooray for Ramona!