Thursday, March 11, 2010

Starting up again. Thanks Stimey.

Hi all friends of Stimey,

I suppose that because I purport to be a blogger, and a reader, I should maybe write a post. I lost steam on this blog for a while due to single parenthood, Christmas, knitting, watching television etc. And while I feel like I haven't been reading at all, really I have. Maybe tomorrow I'll post a list.

Right now I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. I caught part of the Masterpiece [Theatre] adaptation and decided that as it was the last Austen novel that I had not read, I ought to. So I am.

It's kinda hard.

When I read other Jane Austen stuff, I've already read it like six times so I know who everyone is and what's happening and what they are going to say next. With Persuasion, I actually have to concentrate. There are alot of sisters in this one, lots of accomplished young women and a few naval captains. It's tough to keep them all straight.

The very best thing about Miss Austen though, is that she keeps the suspense about whether the main characters you want to fall in love will. Its uncanny. Everytime I read Pride and Predjudice, I'm on the edge of my seat, worrying that Elizabeth and Darcy won't manage to make it. And in Mansfield Park-- those two are mighty close relations to make it work. But she does it everytime; pulls everyone together and makes romance work.

She's so great.

1 comment:

Stimey said...

Hooray that you blogged! The cake was worth it for just this post. :)