Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Brief Chat about Bill Bryson--I love him

I saw Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, in Stimey's basement a few weeks ago, grabbed it and couldn't wait to read it. it has now been read. I knew it would be great fun because I loved Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. It was full of good tidbits about geography, geology and biology, plus I love that he was supposed to hike the Appalachian Trail and didn't make it. As I recall, don't quote me here, but I think he felt like he had seen enough and understood fully the enormity of hiking the whole thing, so he really didn't need to. He did a really good job of it though, hiking really really far, and maybe checking out the beginning and end. It turned me into a big Bryson fan at any rate.

So I saw A Short History of Nearly Everything and was very excited. I wasn't disappointed. I learned EVERYTHING! History of science, names and amusing anecdotes about millions of forgotten scientists, quarks, mitochondria, black holes, the works. I'm much more scientific now.

I love finding authors that I want to be friends with. Like Mary Roach, Bill Bryson seems like he'd be perfect to chat with. Really smart, but not soo serious, a little self deprecating, and fun but not fluffy.

2 comments:

Stimey said...

Well, damn. I should read this book myself.

Gunfighter said...

Hi,

Just a quick hello... I got here via DC Metro Moms, where I am the resident dad.

I like your blog.