Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Terrible Confession

Remember a couple of months ago when I told you my mother had left a box of books at my house? Mostly these were her rejects, so they weren't great. I haven't been to the library lately, and had read all the things in my To Read pile, so I picked up Audition by Barbara Walters. And OMG I have been READING IT! I gotta tell ya, its kind of a snore. But I haven't quit. Today, I officially quit. I'm backing away from the five hundred page auto-biography of a living news woman. I'm so embarrassed to be reading this book for old ladies that when I thought a friend might enter my room, I put it back on the bookshelf so my loseriness wouldn't be discovered

It might seem as though I am being rude to my mother in criticizing this book, or criticizing Barbara Walters. I am not. Ms. Walters is a fine interesting lady who has had a very full life. I just don't need to spend my evenings reading about it.

About my mother's choice in non-fiction; firstly, she is the one who chose not to keep the book on her shelves, indicating that it is not a great classic. Secondly, she is thirty years older than me. I give permission to every person over 55 to read a Barbara Walters biography, or say any book by Tom Brokaw.

I am not even remotely hip, even by suburban thirty year old standards, but good lord! Barbara Walters? I am going to the library today, and finding something more suitable, and cooler, like maybe something I heard about on NPR.

1 comment:

Stimey said...

I never would have even opened that damn book.