Tuesday, September 29, 2009

An Easy Reader

I think I read too many blogs. I picked up The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, Man Booker Prize winner, and it was refreshingly easy to read; at least the first five pages. The narrator is an uneducated Indian guy writing to the prime minister of China. His tone is so chatty and non-mysterious. I asked myself why this was and realized, it reads more like a blog than a serious work of fiction. That is not to say that blogs are not wonderful and well written, but they are a more spontaneous, colloquial form of written expression. And, much easier for a busy gal like me to read. I like checking my blog reader and quickly getting a few easy to decipher and topically familiar things checked off. It feels good, and easy.

Is this a personal failing? Shouldn't I love a challenge? Good fiction is hard fiction right? Any Moby Dick Fans out there?

I don't feel great about my reading self right now. I am excited though to read The White Tiger and see if the whole thing is as enjoyable as the first five pages.

No comments: